How to dispose of your Sustainable PPE after you've used it
So you’ve bought our sustainable PPE, kept yourself & others safe whilst wearing it, but what do you need to do next to ensure we, together, really are contributing to saving those polar bears?
Follow the steps below for each of our items, or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Polycare Biodegradable Aprons:
- These will start to biodegrade in landfill conditions in as little as 18 months, so just pop them into your regular general waste bin, and know they will not be on this planet much longer.
Showa Biodegradable Disposable Gloves:
- These should biodegrade in landfill conditions in just 5 years (a lot faster than the 100+ years for regular disposable gloves), so can also be put into your general waste bin, and will be gone long before we reach that 2030 milestone...
EcoBreathe Recyclable Face Masks:
- Finally a recyclable face mask! Now this one is a little more complicated - they are made of polypropylene plastic, which is 100% recyclable, but you’ll need to check whether your local council will accept grade 5 plastic. Do not fear if not, as you’ll find a returns label in your parcel, along with instructions on the steps to follow to dispose of this in an alternative way: once you’ve made your way through the 50 masks, you pop them in the bag that comes with them, and after 72 hours, return them for EcoBreathe recycle for you. Lily has written a fantastic blog with more detail on these processes: How to recycle your face mask
ReelShield Recyclable & Compostable Visors:
- This one is a little quirky, so there are two steps: the clear screen is made of wood pulp so is compostable and can go into your food waste bin and the worms will do the rest. If you don’t have a compost or food waste bin, put it in your general waste bin and it will biodegrade. The cardboard frame can then be recycled along with your regular household recyclables.
P.S. If you’re disposing of your PPE by double bagging, we recommend using a compostable or biodegradable bag to aid the process.
How to dispose of your sustainable cleaning products after you've used them
Our Miniml cleaning and sanitising products come in 2 material, either PET plastic or Glass.
Miniml PET bottle:
- PET (polyethylene terephthalate) is a tough type of plastic. This can be recycled and manufactured into new bottles and containers. We urge everyone to re-use any bottles and pumps, as they can be used for many purposes. If you do recycle your bottle make sure you wash it and take off the top pump.
Miniml Glass Bottle:
- Glass is very resilient and can be used again and again. If you don't want to re-use your bottle it can be recycled to make bottle and jars. Just make sure you wash the bottle before recycling it, and remove the top pump
Cheeky Panda AntiBacterial Wipes
- The wipes are 100% biodegradable/compostable so can be thrown either in your regular rubbish to biodegrade, or you home compost. If you are using any chemical sprays alongside your wipes we recommend not throwing the wipes in your compost to as not to contaminate it. Please note the plastic wrapper on the wipes is not yet recyclable but Cheeky Panda are working on new recycling solutions.
I hope this helps, but as always, we’re just an email away if you need any support or if anything is unclear!