PET vs Glass which is more sustainable?
So you’re interested in the Miniml products on our site - yay! - but you can't decide whether to purchase a PET plastic or glass bottle? Let us help guide your choice by talking through what we know about the sustainability of each material.
First thing to note is that we did our research, and neither option is significantly less environmentally friendly than the other - hence why we’re stocking both. Glass is commonly perceived as more eco than plastic, but this is not necessarily true when it comes to PET. Here are the key arguments for both materials:
PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic:
- Uses less energy and creates less greenhouse gases during production
- Is lightweight, which means that it requires less energy to transport
- Is infinitely more recyclable, with no loss in quality or purity
- Can quickly be cleaned and sterilised in boiling water, enabling easier re-use
- Are 100% recyclable
- Are durable so you can re-use these bottles once you’re done
Overall, both have their pros/cons but are similar in terms of environmental impact - the key point is that both bottle types can be fully recycled or are durable enough to be re-used for a long time. Our suggestion would be to go for the shape that you like, and try to re-use your bottle once you are done with it (note that we are looking into stocking larger refill options of each product in the near future).
As always, if you have any questions, get in touch.
Stay safe out there!